How To Make Brown Eyes Look Blue?
- Pieter Maas
Story highlights – Blue eyes have long been associated with movie star good looks, but why they make hearts throb is open to conjecture An estimated 17% of the world’s population has blue eyes. The color is an illusion created by light refracting in clear eyes Stroma Medical has developed a laser system that agitates the pigmentation in irises to reveal the clear blue eyes underneath While the company says tests have shown the treatment to be safe, critics say that there may be a risk of developing glaucoma CNN — From the piercing blue eyes of Paul Newman to the steely gaze of Daniel Craig, blue eyes have always been a measure of attractiveness.
- But exactly why they make hearts throb and catapult actors and models to stardom is a point of conjecture.
- Theories range from evolutionary psychologists who say that blue-eyed women in Palaeolithic societies had a better chance of standing out in the crowd, others posit that pupil dilation – a signifier of attraction – is easier to see in lighter eyes.
Either way, just 17% of the world’s population has blue eyes. For the majority of the world’s population – an estimated 80% – those elusive movie star eyes can usually only be obtained with the aid of colored contact lenses. But today there’s a medical procedure that can permanently turn your brown eyes blue.
Pioneered by Stroma Medical, the laser procedure works by eliminating the brown melanin that’s present in the anterior layers of the iris. “The fundamental principle is that under every brown eye is a blue eye,” Dr Gregg Homer told CNN, adding that there is no actual blue pigmentation in the eye. “The only difference between a brown eye and a blue eye is this very thin layer of pigment on the surface.
“If you take that pigment away, then the light can enter the stroma – the little fibers that look like bicycle spokes in a light eye – and when the light scatters it only reflects back the shortest wavelengths and that’s the blue end of the spectrum.” He said the effect is similar to the Rayleigh scattering of sunlight in the sky – the physics that makes our sky appear blue.
- The company says it has developed a laser treatment that disrupts the layer of pigment, causing the body to begin removing the tissue naturally.
- While the procedure takes all of 20 seconds, the blue eyes lurking underneath do not emerge for several weeks.
- He said that Stroma Medical wanted to develop a procedure that was safer, cheaper and more convenient than any of the alternatives on the market.
While it has yet to get the green light from regulatory bodies in the United States, the company’s medical board has said that preliminary studies show the surgery is safe. So far, just 17 patients in Mexico and 20 in Costa Rica have undergone the treatment.
It’s difficult to work out a way to injure someone with this laser because the energy is so low,” he said. The laser treats only the iris and does not enter the pupil or treat any portion of the inside of the eye where the nerves affecting the vision are located. The company is still in the fundraising stage but hopes to have completed clinical trials within several years.
And the cost of turning your brown eyes blue? Dr Homer says Stroma Medical would charge around $5,000 (£3,120) for the procedure. Industry reaction to the process has been muted. Ophthalmologists who deal with people’s eyes, Homer concedes, have every right to be skeptical for the simple fact they are dealing with one of the most sensitive organs in the human body.
- Saj Khan, an ophthalmologist at the London Eye Hospital, told CNN the treatment raised some red flags.
- The main concern with any procedure that involves releasing pigment inside the eye is that the pigment can clog up the normal drainage channels which can in turn cause the pressure inside the eye to go up,” he said.
“If that happens significantly enough, for long enough, it’s how patients develop glaucoma.” He said that while Stroma Medical claims that the particles released by the process are too fine to cause glaucoma – and that any complications were likely to be short-term and easily remedied – a risk still remains.
- Theory has some sense to it, but without seeing long-term outcomes and without seeing patients that have been treated in this way I wouldn’t commit myself to it,” Khan said.
- In the meantime, Homer says there are no shortage of potential customers wanting to have the irreversible procedure.
- It’s not a goal of our company to promote blue eyes,” he said.
“From my experience what most people are after is the translucence of the blue eye rather than the color of the blue eye. “The people who seem most vigilant about pursuing this always have a story about being young and in the presence of a sibling or a friend who had light eyes and the friend is being told how beautiful their eyes are and it sticks with them.
Can you make brown eyes blue?
A California-based company has developed a procedure that can change brown eyes to blue in a matter of 20 seconds. Stroma Medical created the procedure, which uses a laser to rid your eyes of the dark melanin that makes them brown. This turns them blue.
How can I make my eyes look more blue?
Download Article Download Article Blue eyes are beautiful, but making sure they stand out can be a little tough! Your makeup, clothes, and hair can make your eyes look pale or washed out if they aren’t designed to complement blue eyes. Learn how to put on makeup, style your hair, and pick out clothes and accessories so your blue eyes really pop!
- 1 Apply concealer under your eyes. Blue eyes can easily get lost in dark undereye circles, and this is especially noticeable with a natural look. Apply concealer around and under your eyes to put the focus on them, not your circles!
- Try using a salmon-colored concealer to hide the bluish tones in your skin.
- If you only need light coverage, dot the concealer along your undereye, then blend with your fingers or a makeup sponge.
- If you have very dark circles, apply a layer of concealer in an inverted triangle shape under your eye. The point of the triangle should be about level with the apples of your cheeks. Blend it with your fingers or a makeup sponge. It should blend into your face makeup and up to the corners of your eye.
- 2 Put on beige or light gold eyeshadow. Colors with warm tones complement blue eyes. For a natural look, pick a beige, light gold, or a similar light neutral eyeshadow. Blend it in lightly over your eyelid with an eyeshadow brush. You want enough to contrast with your eyes, but not enough to look obvious from a distance. Advertisement
- 3 Use light-colored eyeliner. Pick a light eyeliner in white, beige, light gold, or a similar light neutral color. The light color will help your eyes look bigger without looking like you’re wearing heavy makeup. You can use liquid, pencil, or gel eyeliner, but pencil is best for a more natural look. Line your eyes lightly on both the top and bottom lids.
- 4 Highlight both corners of your eyes. Adding a little shimmer to both corners of your eyes will make them look bigger and highlight their beautiful color. You can use pencil eyeliner, liquid or powder eyeshadow, or highlighter, as long as it’s a very light, shimmery color. Dab the color gently on each inner corner, then blend with your fingers or a small makeup brush.
- If your eyes are gray-blue, try a color with pink tones.
- Bright, dark, or purple blues will really pop with a gold or copper-toned highlighter.
- If you are going for something very natural, try white or ivory for light skin, and rose gold for darker skin. Use a very small amount and blend it thoroughly.
- 5 Curl your eyelashes. Curling your eyelashes will make your eyes appear bigger and more open. Line up your upper lashes with your eyelash curler, then hold it closed for 10-15 seconds.
- Don’t put on mascara before you curl! The mascara can stick to the curler and pull lashes out, or even break them.
- 6 Use black or brown mascara. Black or brown mascara can help make the blue in your eyes pop, especially if you have dark hair. Use one or two layers on your upper lashes, and one on your lower lashes.
- 1 Choose warm-toned or purple eyeshadow. For blue eyes, anything with warm tones will look great! You don’t have to wear bright colors-browns, golds, coppers, and bronzes are also warm tones. Warm hues of purple, like eggplant and plum, are also very flattering for blue eyes because their reddish tones bring out blues.
- If you have dark blue eyes, try a bright metallic color.
- Pink-toned purples and golds look great on gray-blue eyes.
- Avoid blue or blue-toned shadows like turquoise, indigo, and periwinkle-they can make your eyes look washed-out!
- Gray eyeshadow can also make your blue eyes pop.
- 2 Apply the shadow to your eyelid. Use an eyeshadow brush to apply the shadow across your entire eyelid. If you want a more dramatic, bolder look, layer it on or even try blending two or more colors in the same family.
- 3 Add a shimmery shadow to your eyelid crease and both corners. Choose a shimmery shadow and brush it onto your eyelid creases and both inner corners of your eye. You can choose any shimmery color you want, but warm metallics will look great with blue eyes.
- 4 Try a bold eyeliner. A bold eyeliner will bring out your blue eyes. You can try a gold eyeliner, black eyeliner, or dark purple eyeliner. Liquid eyeliner is best for a bold look, but you can also use pencil or gel liner. Gently and carefully line along your upper and lower eyelids.
- If you have trouble with liquid eyeliner, try dotting it along your eyelids, then connecting the dots.
EXPERT TIP Alicia D’Angelo is a makeup artist based in New York City. She currently works for teams with Dior Makeup, YSL Beauty and Pat McGrath Labs as well as bridal companies Once Upon A Bride and Miss Harlequinn. Her work has been featured in Today.com, New York Live, Forbes.com, VH1, MTV, Vevo, Entertainment Weekly, Refinery 29, and NYXCosmetics.com. Our Expert Agrees: Blue eyes pop the most when you have a dark color like black or brown on your lash line. That creates a sharp contrast with the lightness of the iris. However, you can also use cooler tones like grey, silver, or blue to bring out the variety of shades in your eye color, or opt for colors like pink and purple to change things up in spring and summer.
- 5 Layer your mascara. Brown mascara will look great with blue eyes, but black or even blue mascara will make them pop too! When you put mascara on, try putting on two or three layers on your top lashes and one or two on your bottom lashes to really emphasize your eyes. The best way to put on multiple layers is to wait a few seconds between each layer.
- If your mascara gets clumpy, gently pinch the clump with your fingers and pull it out
- You can also use false eyelashes for an even more dramatic look.
- 6 Put on bright lipstick. A bold lipstick in a warm color will provide a startling contrast with your blue eyes. A classic red is a great choice, but any warm-toned red, pink, orange, or brown will look great.
- Avoid cool-toned lipsticks like blue, purple, and black-these can wash out your eyes.
- 1 Choose blue shades that complement your eye color. A blue outfit can draw attention to your eyes, but the wrong shade of blue for your eye color can wash them out. A good rule of thumb is to avoid dull blues, neon blues, and blues that match the exact color of your eyes.
- If you have green-blue eyes, avoid turquoise or aqua blues-they’ll overwhelm your eyes. Try purple blues.
- If your eyes are gray-blue, try a baby blue.
- Bright blue eyes will look amazing in a royal blue outfit.
- Navy blue looks good with any color blue eyes.
- 2 Avoid warm-toned clothes. If you have blue eyes, you most likely have a cool-toned complexion. Warm-toned clothing can clash with cool-toned skin. Avoid oranges, reds, and yellows so you don’t distract from your eyes.
- 3 Use gold, brown, or copper accessories. Jewelry, hair clips, hats, and scarves in browns, oranges, and warm metallics will draw attention to your blue eyes-especially if they’re near your face! They’re a great option if you’d rather not wear an entire orange-toned outfit.
- If you wear glasses, consider getting gold or tortoiseshell frames to bring out the blue in your eyes.
- Try a gold hair clip near your face to bring out your eyes.
- An orange or rust-colored scarf will draw attention to your eyes.
- 4 Add small pops of blue to your outfit. Adding touches of blue to your outfit will draw even more attention to your eyes. Try wearing blue jewelry, shoes, or bags. You can also pick clothes that have blue patterns or stripes.
- Turquoise jewelry is a great way to bring in a little blue.
- 5 Try wearing all black. An all-black outfit can give you a dramatic flair that draws attention to the only spot of color on you-your beautiful blue eyes! This look works especially well with bold, dramatic eye makeup.
- This look is best for those with light, bright, green, or purple-blue eyes. Gray and dark blue eyes can be lost in all black.
- If you don’t want to wear an all-black outfit, try wearing a black hat or scarf to frame your face.
- 1 Get bangs to draw attention to your eyes. A great way to draw attention to your eyes is to cut your hair into bangs-people will follow your hair right to your eyes. Cutting them level with your brow line will give your eyes enough space and will keep your hair framing them.
- Be sure to get your bangs regularly trimmed. Nobody will notice your blue eyes if your hair’s in the way!
- 2 Try a short haircut to emphasize your eyes. A short, dramatic hairstyle like a pixie cut or a bob will draw attention to your face and put more emphasis on your eyes. Talk to your stylist about what short haircut will look best on you.
- 3 Layer your hair around your face. If you’d rather keep your hair long, consider cutting it in layers around your face. This will draw attention to your eyes by visually leading people to your face.
- 4 Part your hair to the side. You don’t have to cut your hair to bring out your blue eyes. Parting your hair far to one side will create a line from the top of your head all the way down the side of your face. This will draw people towards your eyes!
- 5 Pick a complementary hair color. You have lots of hair color options for blue eyes. If you want to go for a more natural look, anything with warm tones will emphasize blue eyes. Reds, auburns, blondes, and chestnut browns all set off blue eyes dramatically.
- Black hair is a great choice for cooler skin tones.
- If you want a non-natural color, avoid blues and greens. Your eyes can get lost in them. Try pinks, purples, or rose gold instead.
Add New Question
- Question Does red make blue eyes pop? Alicia D’Angelo is a makeup artist based in New York City. She currently works for teams with Dior Makeup, YSL Beauty and Pat McGrath Labs as well as bridal companies Once Upon A Bride and Miss Harlequinn. Her work has been featured in Today.com, New York Live, Forbes.com, VH1, MTV, Vevo, Entertainment Weekly, Refinery 29, and NYXCosmetics.com. Makeup Artist & Hair Stylist Expert Answer Support wikiHow by unlocking this expert answer. Blue eyes pop the most when you have a dark color like black or brown on your lash line. That creates a sharp contrast with the lightness of the iris. However, you can also use cooler tones like grey, silver, or blue to bring out the variety of shades in your eye color, or opt for colors like pink and purple to change things up in spring and summer.
- Question What color should I wear to make blue eyes pop? Laura Martin is a Licensed Cosmetologist in Georgia. She has been a hair stylist since 2007 and a cosmetology teacher since 2013. Licensed Cosmetologist Expert Answer
- Question What colors make brown eyes pop? Laura Martin is a Licensed Cosmetologist in Georgia. She has been a hair stylist since 2007 and a cosmetology teacher since 2013. Licensed Cosmetologist Expert Answer
See more answers Ask a Question 200 characters left Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Submit Advertisement
Keep your eyebrows neatly groomed. This will focus attention on your eyes.
Advertisement Article Summary X If you want to make your blue eyes pop, try using makeup and clothes in colors that complement your eyes. Apply a light concealer under your eyes, which will conceal any dark rings that can distract from them. When you apply eye shadow, opt for a warm tone like beige or light gold to make your eyes stand out.
Then, dot a little light-colored eye liner in both corners of your eye to make it look bigger and brighter. Besides your makeup, choose clothes in a different tone of blue to make your eyes stand out, like baby blue for blue-grey eyes. Additionally, bring out the contrast in your eyes with warm-toned accessories, like orange or rust colored scarves or hair clips.
For tips from our Beauty co-author on how to style your hair to show off your blue eyes, keep reading! Did this summary help you? Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 295,777 times.
Can you make brown eyes lighter?
Most people believe that eye color is generally a fixed trait in every human, but this is not really true. There are different techniques on how to make your eyes lighter. Some of these techniques are natural, while some are surgical. There are equally different ways of making your eyes lighter through cosmetic means, however, this produces a temporary effect.
Fix Contact Eye Lenses
Even if your eyes are of the darkest shades, you can always use cosmetic means to brighten them. This method is far more affordable than the other options. There are opaque lenses specifically designed for people with dark eyes. These opaque lenses feature vibrant and bright colors.
- The only warning that comes with wearing these lenses is that you must get a prescription before buying any of these lenses.
- To buy an opaque fashion lenses, click on the link below and visit the contact lens section.2.Use Makeup Tricks There are special eye shade enhancing kits produced by some makeup companies that help you choose the appropriate eye shadow for making your eyes lighter and more beautiful.
You can as well choose a few complimentary colors to give your eyes a brighter and lighter appearance. If you have blue eyes, earthen colors such as copper, bronze, peach or yellow would be most appropriate. If you have green eyes, shades like mauve, purple, or rose would be most appropriate.
If you have brown eyes, shades like gold, bronze or any other such shimmering earthen colors would be best. These tones help lighten your eyes. Apply under-the-eye concealer: This will help cover all dark circles found under the eyes, which helps you appear smarter and more alert. The under-the-eye concealer also brightens up the color of your eye and gives your eye makeup a brighter appearance.3.
Try Home Remedies for Lighter Eyes
- Eat berries. Begin your day with berries. Eating a bowl of assorted berries such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc will help brighten your eyes in less than 30 minutes after eating the berries. These berries are known to house important vitamins and powerful antioxidants and circulate through your body instantly. Fresh berries have been found to perform more wonders than the frozen ones, though the frozen ones still do the magic.
- Cucumber with tea bag: Leave a slice of cucumber on each eye for about 5 minutes or soak one or two teabags in a cold water for about 1-2 minutes and place them on both eyes for about 5 minutes or more.
- Pineapple: Get some pineapple juice and some drops of it with Coconut water and dip your cotton pad in the mixture. Place the soaked cotton pad on both eyes for about 10-15 minutes. This is one of the best tips on how to make your eyes lighter naturally.
4. Make Some Adjustments to Your Lifestyle Take about 8 hours rest. Sleeping well helps you get very fresh and beautiful-looking eyes. When you get inadequate sleep, you end up with dull, red and puffy-looking eyes. Inadequate sleep can also form some dark circles under your eyes, and this can ruin your whole personality.
- Another good way of preventing eye puffiness is by putting an extra pillow under your head while you sleep.
- Sleeping on your stomach or your back rather than your sides can also help you achieve this.5.
- Clothing Techniques Wear clothes that match the color of your eyes.
- Choose tops that match your eye color always.
This will help give your eyes a more natural brightness and appearance as the top enhances their color. A more vibrant eye color will equally look lighter than the one hidden deep in your eye sockets. Try out some eye shades to select the ones that match your eye color the most.
- Most times, lighter shades work better because they draw out your eyes’ lighter pigments.
- However, it works well to experiment with different shades to know which ones enhance the natural color of your eyes.6.
- Special Surgery While surgical procedures might appear a bit more drastic to most people, a number of cosmetic procedures are medically approved to help enhance or reduce the brightness of the color of one’s eyes permanently.
In most of these surgical procedures, one is required to insert a colored implant below the outer surface of the eyes that has the capacity to enhance the lightness or color of one’s eyes. However, it is crucial you seek medical advice before choosing any of these surgical procedures or undergoing them.
Make sure you conduct adequate researches before choosing these surgical procedures. It is also important to mention that these surgical procedures are undergone by quite a few and can be fairly expensive.7. Cautions Most of the herbal eye lighteners in the market today, especially those advertised online are nothing but scams with no scientific evidences backing them up.
These products cannot be trusted. While some of these products work, the FDA has not approved any for safety, which makes the possibility of experiencing drawbacks and severe side effects from using them very high. Applying these herbal eye lighteners might leave one with some permanent eye defects.
What hair color makes eyes more blue?
What hair color makes blue eyes pop? – Let’s be honest: If you have blue eyes, you don’t need much help making them stand out. The right hair color, however, can make your already striking eye color appear even more so. Typically, rich brunette hues, warm blonde, and coppery reds provide the perfect amount of contrast to make blue eyes pop. Good hair day by @michaelkellycolourist,