What Do Blue Light Glasses Do To Your Eyes?
- Pieter Maas
What are blue light glasses? – Blue light glasses (sometimes called blue light blocking glasses) are glasses that contain lenses specifically designed to reduce the amount of blue light that reaches the eye. These lenses filter blue light rays to help prevent them from entering your eye and causing potential damage.
Is it OK to wear blue light glasses all day?
Wearing Blue Light Glasses All Day – As you probably know, blue light glasses or blue blockers are designed to reduce exposure to blue light. The slightly yellowish coating is designed to balance out the blue light emitted by digital screens, thus reducing the amount of potentially harmful light that reaches your retina.
This is said to help reduce eye strain and make screen use more comfortable. You can buy blue light glasses with or without a prescription, and the coating can be applied to the glasses you wear for everyday vision correction, including reading glasses, But does that mean you can wear blue light glasses all the time? Yes, it is okay to wear blue light glasses all day.
Whether you’re wearing blue blocking glasses without a prescription or a special blue filter on your regular glasses, your eyes will not suffer any negative effects from wearing them all the time.
Do blue light blocking glasses really work?
Should You Try Blue Light Blocking Glasses? – While there is some evidence that blue light glasses can keep your screen time from messing with your sleep, they’re unlikely to relieve digital eyestrain symptoms altogether and won’t protect against macular degeneration.
- None of this has stopped some doctors from touting them.
- Boots Opticians in the United Kingdom was fined about $56,000 for overstating claims that blue light lenses help prevent eye disease, according to Optometry Today,
- Some people swear these glasses offer relief, however.
- And if they work for you, go for it.
There’s likely no harm, according to Baylor College of Medicine, “If you get a benefit or feel more comfortable wearing them, then wear them,” Frempong says. “They’re certainly not going to hurt you, but there’s no evidence that they’re helping you.”
Why you should buy blue light glasses?
What Are Blue-Light-Blocking Glasses? – The blue light glasses are specifically designed to block or filter out the blue light. By wearing blue-light-blocking glasses, people can reduce eye strain, eye damage, and sleep disturbances. Blue light blocking glasses haven’t been the subject of much research, but some studies indicate that they may:
Preserve macular health Enhance visual performance Improve sleep quality
The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends wearing eyeglasses instead of contact lenses for prolonged use of electronic devices. Although blue light glasses might not be suitable for everyone, they may reduce the effects of prolonged exposure to blue light on the eyes.
When should I start wearing blue light glasses?
When to wear blue light filtering glasses – Blue light lenses are intended to reduce your amount of blue light exposure. So, generally speaking, the best time to wear blue light glasses would be any time you’re being exposed to blue light — more specifically, when you’re exposed to it for long hours.
How do I protect my eyes from blue light on my phone?
Windows 10 – If you use a Windows 10 PC or tablet before bedtime, you can bump into the same trouble trying to catch a good night’s sleep. But Microsoft’s Night Light feature can paint the screen with a warmer color. Click the Start button and go to Settings > System > Display, Toggle the Night light switch to turn on the feature. Click the Night light settings link to put the feature on a schedule or change colors. Click Turn on now to enable Night Light mode immediately. You can then adjust the color temperature by moving the slider on the Strength scale. Moving the slider to the left makes the temperature warmer while moving it to the right makes the temperature cooler. You can set up Night light so it automatically goes into effect at the right hours. Turn on the switch to Schedule night light. Here, you have two choices: Sunset to sunrise or Set hours. To set it for sunset to sunrise, you must have already enabled Location services (Opens in a new window) in Windows. If you prefer to set specific hours for Night light, click Set hours, Click the time under the Turn on line to set the start time. Then click the time under the Turn off line to set the time it stops. Night light will now automatically kick in when you need it and fade away when you don’t. Weekly Apple Brief for the latest news, reviews, tips, and more delivered right to your inbox.”,”first_published_at”:”2021-09-30T21:09:59.000000Z”,”published_at”:”2021-09-30T21:09:59.000000Z”,”last_published_at”:”2021-09-30T21:09:53.000000Z”,”created_at”:null,”updated_at”:”2021-09-30T21:09:59.000000Z”})” x-show=”showEmailSignUp()”>
Does blue light filter on phone reduce eye strain?
– As mentioned above, NASA developed special LED modules for the ISS (International Space Station) in order to help keep astronauts healthy during their stay in outer space. The former NASA scientists who came up with this ingenious solution are now devoted to bringing the same technology to the general public.
- These modules shift the peak output according to the time of the day and use an emission spectrum that closely imitates that of the sun during the day, while eliminating the short wavelengths from blue and green light when in pre-sleep mode.
- Other valid alternatives, if your primary purpose is to reduce digital eye strain, include the use of third-party software such as f.lux or Iris, as well as blue light blocking eyewear.
Please refer to a professional when choosing eyewear that filters or blocks blue light as these products may include magnification and specific optical centers. Although proper eyewear seems to be most effective against the harmful effects of blue light, there are at least three aspects to consider.
First of all, the price, which is heavily dependent on the quality of the lenses. Secondly, the fit, which needs to be tight or else blue light still reaches the eye. Lastly, most blue light blocking glasses are difficult to use when overlaid against regular prescription glasses. All in all, PC monitors with built-in blue light filters present the most convenient solution when compared to these options.
Adding to the convenience of a built-in blue light filter, wouldn’t it be great to use the monitor as a docking station? ViewSonic VG55 and VG56Series monitors feature USB Type-C connectivity, the best modern-era solution to transfer data, video, audio, and power through a single cable.
- Studies say blinking rates drop to one-third of normal when in front of a screen.
- For sure, that does not help with eye strain.
- With that in mind, consider the famous eye care rule called 20-20-20 according to which every 20 minutes you should focus for 20 seconds on any object 20 feet away from you.
- This simple exercise helps with headaches, blurred vision, double vision, and dry eyes.
Another perfectly valid way to give your eyes some well-deserved rest while staying productive during long hours in front of a computer display is using the Pomodoro Technique. This technique breaks down the day in 25-minute sprints with small breaks in-between.
- These breaks help the brain to process new information, and since blue light will not be received during that time, it also helps prevent digital eye strain.
- Although the use of any form of the blue light filter may be helpful, one sure way to reduce digital eye strain and improve the quality of sleep is to avoid using the computer, smartphone, tablet, or TV for 30 to 60 minutes before bed.
Or equip yourself with ViewSonic’s monitors with low blue light technology here, Was this article helpful? Yes No