What Percent Of The Population Has Green Eyes?
- Pieter Maas
Green Eyes Trivia – 10 Fun Facts About Green Eyes –
- Green eyes are very rare. Green eyes are the most rare eye color in the world. Only about 2 percent of people in the world have naturally green eyes. Green eyes are a genetic mutation that results in low levels of melanin, though more melanin than in blue eyes. Green eyes don’t actually have any color. That’s right – strange but true! While green eyes appear that lovely shade of emerald to the outside observer, the irises themselves have no actual pigment. Similar to blue eyes, the color we perceive is a result of the lack of melanin in the iris.
- The less melanin in the iris, the more light scatters out, which makes the eyes look green.
- Ever heard from someone that their eyes change color? Turns out, it’s somewhat true.
- Changes in light make lighter eyes look like they are changing colors, sort of like a chameleon.
- Where in the world are the most green eyes? The highest concentration of people with green eyes is found in Ireland, Scotland, and northern Europe.
In fact, in Ireland and Scotland, more than three-fourths of the population has blue or green eyes – 86 percent! Many factors go into having green eyes. Sixteen separate genes have been identified as contributing to eye color. So, no matter what eye color your parents have, yours could end up being just about any color. Green eyes naturally occur in all races of people. Liqian, China is a hot spot for green eyes. There is a village in China called Liqian, in which two-thirds of all inhabitants today have green eyes and blonde hair. Green eyes and blonde hair are a rare combination. The high concentration of green-eyed, blond-haired people in Liqian is thought to be linked to their ancestry. Can green eye color affect personality? This particular topic may all be in the eye of the beholder (punny, huh?). There is no scientific data to prove that eye color is a factor in determining personality, and we will go on record as saying eye color does not affect personality.
However, just for fun – here are some personality traits that have historically been associated with green eyes in fables and folklore: intelligence, passion, mysteriousness, creativity, jealousy, and great leadership skills. Grab your shades. Because green eyes have less melanin than brown eyes, people with green eyes are more likely to be extra sensitive to UV rays.
The more melanin, the better protection from the sun – eye pigment literally protects the retina. Like blue-eyed people, those with green eyes are more sensitive to sudden increases in light. Green eyes are popular in pop culture. Green eyes may be the most rare of all natural eye colors, but you’ll see green peepers all over the silver screen. Green eyes are also incredibly popular in books. Some well-known green-eyed characters in books and movies include: • Harry Potter – from the Harry Potter book series by J.K.
- Rowling • Mary Jane Watson – The Amazing Spider-Man comics • Batgirl – DC Comics • Catwoman – DC Comics • Loki – Marvel Comics • Petyr Baelish – A Song of Fire & Ice by George R.R.
- Martin • Scar – The Lion King • Jane Eyre – Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte • Rapunzel – Disney’s Tangled • Asami Sato – Legend of Korra Green eyes don’t affect LASIK candidacy.
No significant link has been found between eye color and quality of vision. Green-eyed people can have myopia (nearsightedness), astigmatism, or hyperopia (farsightedness), just like people with any other eye color. Green-eyed people can also have LASIK vision correction,
Your Eyes Deserve the Best We hope you enjoyed our top 10 trivia facts about green eyes. Whatever your eye color, you’ll no doubt agree vision is one of the most treasured senses. Your eyes are your window to the world. That’s why you shouldn’t settle for anything less than your best vision possible.
If you’re currently dealing with the nonstop hassle of foggy glasses or uncomfortable contacts, give our world-class experts a call. Kugler Vision has been voted Best of Omaha #1 LASIK provider for four consecutive years, and we’d love for you to come in and see the Kugler Vision difference for yourself.
Book your EyeAnalysis assessment today online, or call us at 402-558-2211 to learn about your LASIK options. See you soon! Lance Kugler, MD, is a specialist in LASIK and vision correction surgery and CEO of Kugler Vision, A proud Omaha native, he is passionate about improving lives through clear vision. Dr. Kugler serves on several national boards, and his practice is recognized internationally as a center of excellence.
- Dr. Kugler is one of the original founders of the Refractive Surgery Alliance, an international organization comprised of over 350 of the world’s leading vision correction surgeons; he also served as its first president.
- In 2019, Dr.
- Ugler was selected as a TEDx speaker, and delivered a talk in Omaha about the worldwide epidemic of nearsightedness and refractive solutions.
Dr. Kugler is an Associate Professor of Refractive Surgery at the University of Nebraska Medical Center’s Truhlsen Eye Institute, has been published in many medical journals, and participates in numerous clinical studies to advance the field of vision correction surgery.
What nationality has mostly green eyes?
Rare Green Eyes – Lots of genetic traits are rare. For example, left-handedness occurs in just 10% of the world’s population, only 11% have naturally curly hair, and a mere 4% have blonde hair. But of all of the seven billion-plus people on planet Earth, only 2% can claim to have one unique trait.
So, what is this trait so few of us have? Green eyes. Yes, only 2 percent of the population of the entire world have them. How does that compare to other colors? Brown eyes are most common, as many of you would guess, with 79% of people born with them. Blue is found in 8% of people, 5% of us are hazel-eyed, and 5% have eyes of amber.
Essentially, green eyes are unique. Most common in Western, Northern, and Central Europe, green eyes often point to German or Celtic ancestry. Currently, they can be found most often in Iceland, the Netherlands, Scotland, Britain, and Scandinavia. In Britain, brown eyes are, interestingly, even more rare than green eyes, with 22 percent of residents being brown-eyed.
- By comparison, nearly one-third of residents have green eyes.
- Interestingly, green eyes may not appear in children until age three, as pigmentation takes time to form and then to appear.
- If eyes are, as they say, “windows of the soul,” then green-eyed have the rarest souls around.
- As a color, green is often associated with negative emotions like jealousy (Shakespeare’s Othello has a quote that calls envy “the green-ey’d monster”).
Still, plenty of people think green is one of the most alluring eye colors. Green eyes can be emerald- or lime-hued, creating a look that is both mysterious and attractive.
What percent of the population has blue eyes?
Bat those baby blues – The second most common eye color on Earth is blue. However, only 8 to 10 percent of individuals actually have blue eyes. Another cool fact? All blue eyes have been traced back to one common ancient ancestor!
What percent of the population has hazel eyes?
Hazel – Approximately 5% of the world’s population and 18% of people in the U.S. have hazel eyes, which are a mixture of green, orange, and gold. Hazel eyes are more common in North Africa, the Middle East, and Brazil, as well as in people of Spanish heritage.
Is green the rarest eye Colour?
What’s the Rarest Eye Color, and Why? Juliet White / Getty Images At some point, you’ve probably wondered what the rarest eye color is. The answer is green, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO). Only about 2 percent of the world’s population sport this shade.
As to why, that answer isn’t so simple. “We used to think only one gene determined eye color,” says Julie Kaplan, M.D., a physician at the Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare at the Cleveland Clinic. In high school biology class, for example, you probably learned that brown was dominant and blue was recessive, so two blue-eyed parents would not be able to have a baby with brown eyes.
The truth, however, is a bit more complicated, Kaplan notes.
Why are green eyes so beautiful?
These are my green eyes. I was born with green eyes, a trait that I took from my mother. At first, I never understood the constant compliments I received for my eye color. I’ve heard a lot of sayings from friends, family members, and even strangers: “Trae, you have really pretty eyes” or “You could kill someone with eyes like that.” People would even ask me to take off my glasses just to get a glimpse of what color my eyes were.
I knew that my eye color was pretty unusual compared to my peers. Before I researched the origins of green eyes, I asked myself—are green eyes really attractive as people make it? Why are green eyes so rare? One of the most common eye colors in the population is brown eyes, About 55% of people in the world have brown eyes.
Brown eyes have dominant traits, and they are usually darker in color. The second common eye color is blue, However, green eyes are considered the rarest eye color. So, what makes green eyes rare? First of all, green eyes, in contrast to the common eye color, lack melanin (dark pigmentation that occurs in specific parts of the human body). Green eye color. Created by Catsastrific. The most interesting thing about green eyes is that they are not naturally shown until a baby is at least 6 months old. Babies who eventually have green eyes are typically born with lighter eye colors, like gray or blue.
Because of these factors, green eyes prove to be an attractive trait. In fact, based on a study from All About Vision, a survey was created to determine which eye color is considered the most appealing to the person. The results demonstrated that 20.3% of the responses chose ‘green’ as their preference, while ‘light blue’ and ‘hazel’ eye colors have 3.4% less responses.
The survey concluded that the majority appeal is due to the unusualness of the eye color. The conclusion: Green eyes are considered attractive because it’s a rare color. Common eye colors like brown, blue, even black, are typically seen all around because of its pigmentation. Channing Tatum’s green eyes. From muscledudelife.com Sources: 1. Eye Color Guide – The Most Common Eye Colors, AC Lens: http://www.aclens.com/Most-Common-Eye-Color-c323.html 2. The Genetics of Eye Color, EyeDoctorGuide.com: http://www.eyedoctorguide.com/eye_general/eye_color_genetics.html 3.
Is black eye color rare?
Gray: The Rarest Eye Color – New classifications have determined that gray is its own standard color. (It was previously, and incorrectly, lumped in with blue.) With this change, gray now tops the list as the rarest eye color.
|EYE COLOR||U.S. POPULATION||WORLD POPULATION|
|Gray and other||Less than 1%||Less than 1%|
|Blue||27%||8% to 10%|
|Brown||45%||55% to 79%|
There’s not much information on gray-colored eyes. In studies, gray and blue have historically been combined. This may change since the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) has separated gray into an “other” category, which it shares with rare eye color differences discussed later in this article.
Can eye color change with mood?
Skip to content
Human eye color has always been fascinating and mysterious. Babies are usually born with blue eyes. Those mostly change within the first three years to other colors. Some people have different colored eyes; they were celebrated back in July with “Different Colored Eyes Day.” Some emotions can cause the eyes color to change, such as when you’re angry.
Scientists still don’t know why some people’s eyes are a certain color. It is known that human eye colors originate with three genes, obviously passed down from your parents. Thing is, only two of those three genes are understood. Those two give people the common eye colors of green, blue, and brown. But scientists don’t understand why other people have gray, hazel, or eyes with multiple colors in them.
Back in the 60s the common thinking was that brown eyes were “dominant” gene traits and blue eyes were “recessive,” but that’s too simplistic. Eye colors don’t turn out to be a blend of your parents’ eyes. Really, the only predictor is if the parents both have brown eyes, then the baby will likely also have brown eyes.
Dark colors dominate more, so brown wins out over green, which wins out over blue. Baby eyes are interesting in themselves. Most babies are born with blue eyes and everyone watches to see if those eyes are going to another color. This darkening is due to melanin, just like in the skin. Babies don’t have melanin in their eyes at birth, but it develops with age and can make the eye color darken.
Some children are born with irises that don’t match in color. This can be caused by trauma in the womb or shortly after birth, a benign genetic disorder, or a developmental issue in the transport of pigment. Although, an eye doctor should check this, there is usually nothing serious about the condition.
- Hence, you get Kate Bosworth with her one hazel eye and one blue eye.
- Change your mood, change your color The iris is the part of the eye that carries the color.
- It is a muscle that expands and contracts to control the size of the pupil.
- The pupil gets bigger in low light and smaller in bright light.
- It also changes shape based on what you are doing, shrinking when you are doing close up things such as reading.
The cool thing is that when the pupil changes size, the pigments in the iris compress or spread apart. This changes the eye color to a degree. The pupil can change size with certain emotions, thus changing the iris color dispersion and the eye color. You’ve probably heard people say your eyes change color when you’re angry, and that probably is true.
Your eyes can also change color with age. They usually darken somewhat. This happens more to white people (10 to 15%) because they tend to have lighter eye colors to begin with. If you have dramatic changes in eye color, or if one eye changes, you need to see an eye doctor. Such changes can be warning signs of certain diseases such as pigmentary glaucoma,
And what would you think is the most attractive eye color? In a website poll of over 66,000 respondents, 20% said green was the most attractive, followed by hazel and light blue at 16%. Brown was far and away voted the least attractive (6%). But don’t take it personally, brown-eyed people; you can always opt for colored contact lenses, just like they do in the movies.
Can two brown eyes make a green?
What color eyes will my child have? – There’s no guarantee when it comes to your offspring’s eye color. While a baby inherits half of their eye color genetics from one parent and half from the other parent, the way that the genes interact also plays a role in determining eye color.
- Differences in eye color are also influenced by differing amounts of melanin, the pigment responsible for eye color (plus hair color and skin tone).
- For instance, many white non-Hispanic babies are born with blue eyes because they don’t have the full amount of melanin present in their irises at birth.
As the child grows older, if they’ve developed slightly more melanin in their irises, the eyes will be green or hazel, When the iris stores a lot of melanin, the eyes will be amber (a golden brown), light brown or dark brown. Even though you don’t know the amount of melanin your baby will have, you can still get a pretty good sense of eye color from the parents’ eye colors.
Two blue-eyed parents are likely to have a blue-eyed child, but it’s not guaranteed. Two brown-eyed parents are likely to have a brown-eyed child. Again, it’s not guaranteed. Two green-eyed parents are likely to have a green-eyed child, although there are exceptions. Two hazel-eyed parents are likely to have a hazel-eyed child, although a different eye color could emerge. If one of the grandparents has blue eyes, the odds of having a baby with blue eyes increases slightly. If one parent has brown eyes and the other has blue eyes, the chances of having a brown-eyed or blue-eyed baby are roughly even.
The Fertility Institutes, which offers fertility services in California, New York, Utah and Mexico, offers the following odds of a baby’s eye color based on the parents’ eye colors. (Due to rounding, percentages don’t always add up to 100%.)
Both parents with brown eyes: 75% chance of baby with brown eyes, 18.8% chance of baby with green eyes, 6.3% chance of baby with blue eyes. Both parents with blue eyes: 99% chance of baby with blue eyes, 1% chance of baby with green eyes, 0% chance of baby with brown eyes. Both parents with green eyes: 75% chance of baby with green eyes, 25% of baby with blue eyes, 0% chance of baby with brown eyes. One parent with brown eyes and one parent with blue eyes: 50% chance of baby with brown eyes, 50% chance of baby with blue eyes, 0% chance of baby with green eyes. One parent with brown eyes and one parent with green eyes: 50% chance of baby with brown eyes, 37.5% chance of baby with green eyes, 12.5% chance of baby with blue eyes. One parent with blue eyes and one parent with green eyes: 50% of chance of baby with blue eyes, 50% chance of baby with green eyes, 0% chance of baby with brown eyes.
Keep in mind that it may take six to 12 months for a baby’s true eye color to emerge, so the color you see at birth can certainly change. SEE RELATED: Is it true all babies are born with blue eyes?